You are viewing crysta0917

Musings of a Free Spirit

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> User Info
> crysta17 @ fictionpress.com
> previous 10 entries

Links
onthecornerstreet
fashiontoast
liebemarlenevintage
bohememusings
dorasfur
iambourgeois
theukayqueen
whowhatwear
tokyostreetstyle
stylebubble
lovelyboheme
grandtheftthrift
blushing ambition
purse'n boots

January 1st, 2015


12:00 am - that free spirited girl [sticky post]
Personal Style Blog transfer note:
Officially moved to Musings of a Free Spirited Girl

Meanwhile hi, again!

Because I think I have decent stuff to post here from now on...

I'm officially dubbing this place as my creative writing space (mostly for fanfiction, probably some poetry in the local language---if I do manage to come up with one, and some fiction, all being short, easy reads :D) Well, guys, enjoy reading and maybe, just maybe I'll be taking requests sometimes? Just watch out for those upcoming posts. Meanwhile...the new stuff here shall mostly be friends only because LJ is annoying and I am receiving a ton of spam comments---middle finger to LJ except the fanfics---unless I get annoyed by the spam comments again, then I am surely locking this thing to friends only ASAP.

Comment on this post to be added to the friends' list, thank you! I don't do random adding anymore.


....count the number of times I wrote 'from now on'...redundancy rules. Apparently, that's what I'm good at. I know, boring right?

Contact: kristagraces@gmail.com

kg*

Current Location: Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental
Current Mood: creativecreative
Current Music: Chemistry - TOGETHER | Powered by Last.fm

(23 comments | Leave a comment)

January 2nd, 2015


01:03 am - sales post: a ton of books and one manga
I'm selling all these because other than the fact that I'm short on cash, I find it important to get rid of all the things I've amassed that I hardly use anymore. The house needs to be rid of these, too. Hope they can find a new home amongst you, buyers. Some of them have been listed on my ebay, too.

This is for serious buyers only.

How to Purchase:
1. Send an e-mail to kristagraces@gmail.com with the item/s as the subject. You may include in the first e-mail your inquiries about the items/books, your preferred payment method and contact details (full name, address, mobile phone number, home phone number)
2. If using paypal, wait for the paypal invoice. If you prefer BDO cash card deposit, wait for confirmation e-mail.
3. Pay for your purchases.
4. Get stuff!

Note that:

  • Shipping fee is shouldered by the buyer if not within Cagayan de Oro, Misamis Oriental

  • Prices are in Philippine Peso

  • Shipping may take a maximum of 2 days within the Philippines


Payment methods:

  • Paypal: kristagraces@gmail.com

  • BDO cashcard deposit: 601853 906 3208890

  • COD upon meet-up

***For buyers from Cagayan de Oro, you can arrange meet-ups anywhere in Divisoria or in the malls, i.e. Ayala Centrio, Lim Ket Kai Mall, SM CDO, Gaisano Mall, etc.

On the list are the titles, their authors and their prices.

click here to see books and price listCollapse )
Current Location: Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
Current Mood: awakeawake
Current Music: Lana Del Rey - Ride | Powered by Last.fm

(Leave a comment)

March 20th, 2014


12:20 am - movie review: geminis (2005, Argentina)
It's been awhile since I last did something like this here. But it's probably because I very rarely find movies that I'm really into these days. It could also be that it's because I refrain from frequenting the local cinemas. Since two years ago, I've been refraining from spending money on overpriced cinema tickets to movies I know would end up disappointing me. I'm one of the few who would rather sit out a mainstream Hollywood or local mainstream film if I know it's not worth spending for in the cinemas and wait for it to show up on HBO, Cinemax or some other cable channel. I've had enough of being duped to over-hyped, crappy films and such.
quick rant on films in general, feel free to click and readCollapse )

Geminis
Also known as Gemini (possibly the American English title?), Geminis by Albertina Carri, a 2005 release is an Argentinian film I came across one online message thread/forum whilst looking for those that contained the controversial theme of consensual incest. I've been interested about the theme for some time now because it's one extremely rare phenomenon I'd like to study or at least gain a bit of insight or understanding on. I won't participate in it nor do I see myself getting into it because I'm 11 years older than my little brother and we're not really that close so...there's that out in the open. I'm not denying nor am I not keeping a blind eye to this because apparently, it does happen although very rarely. I find it an interesting thing to study nevertheless.

I won't go too deep into the plot of Geminis. I'll keep this one short.

Plot: Carri's Geminis tells of the life of what seems to be a normal middle class Argentinian family in modern day Buenos Aires consisting of a middle-aged mother (Lucia) and father (Daniel), an older brother (Ezequiel) and a pair of brother (Jeremias) and sister (Magdalena) twins who are most likely in their early 20s (and I"m only going by estimates here). The siblings, all three of them, are an attractive bunch and the family, as a whole, does seem well-adjusted to society on the outside. What sets them apart from other normal Argentinian families is that the twins have an ongoing physical and likely emotional intimate relationship they keep from the family, including their elder brother. The story begins when Ezequiel brings home to his family his new wife, Montserrat, so they could hold a wedding ceremony in Buenos Aires. The newly wedded couple lives in Spain. From this point towards the near end of the film is the family's preparation for the wedding ceremony so you see a ton of family interactions like regular family functions or family gatherings in their city home and later their home in the province. The twins' relationship isn't revealed until the sex scene in the rave club the siblings and Montse go to but you do get hints on how they seem to act like boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife early on. To the one watching the film, you'll likely find a lot of foreshadowing leading to this event like the twins' discussion on a documentary about pandas on TV and a bit later, their bickering at the grocery store. Their relationship with their mother is also trivial and can be seen as a clue to the nature of their relationship with one another. They team up when they do not like doing something their mother orders them to. The things they fight about between them also aren't the usual things that normal brothers and sisters do. So, long story short, the elder brother later discovers the twins' highly intimate relationship when they were in the countryside. This, of course, breaks him emotionally since he's been in the dark about this like the rest of the family is. Then the mother later finds out and goes in a shock when she comes back from a client's/friend's house to get something she left at home for work. The film ends on an open note and one can only conclude this succession of events didn't really stop the twins from participating in consensual incest.

It would be good to note that there are a lot of hints of the controversial subject the film dissects within it. There's the part where the mother discusses problems of consensual incest within the families of those in the lower class like that of their maid. There's also the discussion the mother has with her sister about what they fought about when they were younger. You can compare that one to the fights Meme and Jere have which you'd likely find to be unusual for most siblings. Then you have Meme (Magdalena) catching their maid, Olguita watching a soap opera from Caracas about a brother revealed by another to be having relations with his own blood-related sister. All these comes in handy when you get to dissect the film into pieces to get to its core message. These are also a great help to those who would like to unravel the film's relevance to today's society.

Social Relevance/Theme Discussion: There is still social stigma around consensual incest. Like other forms of incest, particularly the non-consensual kind, it's one of many social taboos we have today. Carri's Geminis might not remove that stigma and taboo around consensual incest, which I think is the better one between consensual and non-consensual, but it gives us, the critical thinking audience (assuming we are critically thinking while watching the film...yeah), an idea of how it's like for those who are in this kind of relationship. I, for one, would actually like to see the stigma and taboo removed on consensual incest, just the brother-sister and cousin-cousin ones, in the near future. This is because I think some cases of consensual incest has brothers and sisters or cousins and cousins who are actually genuinely in love with one another. I'd like them to be free to decide as to who they'd love rather than have society restrict them that freedom. This is part of the reason why I think that films like Geminis need to be recognized by the general public.

Geminis highlights society's reaction to consensual incest between siblings. The reactions of the eldest brother, Ezekiel and the mother, Lucia are likely exactly those that others would exhibit when they find out about their own family members engaging in incest consensually. There are numerous repercussions to consensual incest or just incest in general and this is something the film executed well. You can tell that it's socially relevant because of this. In the collective minds of today's society, incest, consensual or not, is wrong after all. The film is highly effective in educating the public about how consensual incest poses a problem to society.

While I don't have an issue with that, with how society views consensual incest wrong (there's no way to go around it in the first place because it's society you're dealing with), I'd really rather think that the film evokes one to question whether or not consensual incest is really wrong or not. This is because I ended up associating human nature and our ability to fall in love with others with the unique phenomena like that which Geminis presented and I decided there's nothing wrong with it. What i actually see in the film are two consenting adults in a loving---though there's nothing conclusive about that but just tasteful hints all throughout the film---relationship. I don't mean to romanticize consensual incest but there are cases where you just can't help who you fall in love with even if that one is your sibling or cousin. .

There are other media that do discuss consensual incest between siblings. I've browsed through Tabitha Suzuma's Forbidden and have gone through VC Andrews' Dollanganger series. I ended up having issues with them because I find that they paint consensual incest in a bad light. For both book series, the consensual incest was a result of two siblings being exposed to broken homes and both aren't exactly of the sound mind. Broken homes do affect many individuals psychologically and emotionally and there are numerous studies on that. In the case of Geminis, we have adult twins who grew up in a good, upper middle class household and as far as the film's audience could tell, they're well-adjusted individuals. This is why I actually like Geminis over others that try to explore brother-sister romantic love/consensual sibling incest. This is also why I think Forbidden and the Dollanganger series aren't at all realistic portrayals of some of the happier cases of consensual incest that we know today.

The consensual incest cases I write about here aren't the GSA (Genetic Sexual Attraction) kind. You may have heard of it already as it's been sensationalized by some news networks recently. It's the kind that happens between siblings or cousins who grew up together in the same household. I've read cases of it on some sites where the brother-sister couple are actually legitimately or genuinely in love with one another and yep, like I mentioned earlier, I don't see anything wrong with it. Now, with Geminis, I'd actually like to invite those who are interested in consensual incest as a social/socio-anthropological study to examine this rare phenomena with the way I tried to see and understand it. It would be good to look into cases of siblings or cousins who fall in love with one another too because I think this would at least lighten the social stigma around certain kinds of incest.

To those who would ask whether this film has great or quality entertainment value, I'd say it does if that's how shallow you'd like to look into Carri's Geminis. It works as an effective tragic, love-gone-wrong kind of film. It's also effective as a family-related film but not appropriate for the very young audience. It's also a good film if non-Argentinians would like a peek into how Argentian families work.

I enjoyed the film, thank you very much. I like the theme and its social implications. I think this is one of the better films on consensual incest that hits close to home when it comes to that subject. It's not overly produced and I think it's a solid film with a solid storyline or plot.

kg*
Current Location: Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
Current Mood: sleepysleepy
Current Music: Da-iCE - Toki (via iPad videos)

(Leave a comment)

December 4th, 2013


08:13 pm - fanfic: untitled AU; fandom: sailormoon
Something I wrote ages ago and only got to reread/scan tonight. Since brother dear is uploading some photos downstairs, I've decided it's time to check on some fanfics from my personal files. While I think this one might've been better off fiction, I decided it be better as fanfiction under the Sailor Moon fandom. 

Manga/Anime: Sailormoon
Fandom: UsaMamo
Type: Oneshot
World/setting: AU, World War 2


Summary: Many young Japanese men are being drafted into military service and pulled away from their loved ones. Throw in the ‘no surrender’ philosophy being ingrained in their being during training, the spirit of kamikaze, bushido among others and you get tragic love stories between lovers and dehumanized men that have come home from war torn towns and cities in Japan.

***
click to read, watch out for nc-17-ish mentionsCollapse )

Hmn...until the next post, then. I'll scout around my files and my notebooks for more fanfics. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to a quiet melancholic night to review some old books I meant to read. This one was inspired by the war novel, The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh in sme way although it seems subtle so I'm going to start with that tonight.

Feel free to hit me up with whatever. :) Criticisms? I can take them. Just do not be too rude.

Goodnight. :)

kg*
Current Location: Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
Current Mood: artisticartistic

(Leave a comment)

November 27th, 2013


11:15 pm - Thoughts on NBC's Dracula 2013
Before I succumb to work or to sleep---because my head is aching and I feel nauseated somehow, all I know is I am sickly at the moment---I need to get this off my head first.

An accidental flick of the channel to DIVA on the local cable tv at home made me discover NBC's Dracula. NBC seems to have a knack of reinventing the classics, first it was Sherlock Holmes. Now, the producers, the team assembled are apparently feasting on the Bram Stoker classic. Sad to say, it's not exactly the best, my mind says it's a pretty messed up series from the reinvented characters onwards. But is there any way at all it can be rectified? Nope, none at all. This is all up to the creative minds behind the tv series. But like others who have been admittedly hooked into it no matter how bad it is...I'll just go on and say, like the rest, that I am keeping tabs on the series because 'it's so bad (and messed up) that it's (actually) good'. The series is reminiscent of the early seasons of HBO's True Blood in sexiness, I'm leaving it at that.

Apparently, what I caught on DIVA was the second episode. There are about 4 episodes released as of the moment and the 5th one is yet to air two weeks from now, if I recall correctly. Dracula is on a short hiatus.

Plotwise, NBC's Dracula seems to have conformed to the canon established by earlier film and tv adaptations of the novel where Mina Murray is the reincarnation of Dracula's dead wife. Notable for this trend is Coppola's 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula with Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker. There, Mina was Elisabetta in her past life. My memory of the film is unclear and in shambles but I do remember watching it back then. Since I have yet to read the book at that time, there was no way I could form a coherent opinion of the movie. There was nothing original to base it on. Also, I do have Nosferatu on my mind though no move done to acquire a copy of it.

But really, why am I writing about Dracula? I cannot, for the life of me it seems, miss the chance at poking (fun or whatever) or take a look at some things they did to the Stoker classic for television viewers. Book-to-tv series or book-to-film, there are always bound to be changes, minor or major. Tweakings courtesy of the creative minded staff behind every film or tv series adaptations of classic novels.

Having read the book some time last year and re-reading or scanning through it again today---it's all because of NBC's Dracula, I swear---I fell in love with it and with the way Stoker wrote it. It is one of my favorite horror tales of all time. It actually gave a shape to the concept of vampires and vampirism that's far from the sparkly vegan---is there such a thing, really?---vampire some other author created and trended. What actually defined the novel for me was the tone. It's stereotypical gothic horror that starts light then goes dark in the middle then life-changing towards the end.

So...the changes. I tweeted this earlier today: Mina Murray is an assistant schoolmistress not a medical student/practitioner and Jonathan Harker is a solicitor---some sort of lawyer who may work hand in hand with the barrister but mostly works on legalities for clients as in the case of properties, etc---not a journalist. This is book canon vs. 2013 Dracula tv series on NBC.

In the new series, Wilhelmina (her full name) Murray is under the tutelage of Van Helsing it seems and is attending his classes in university. Jonathan, meanwhile, is a journalist for The Inquisitor. The one thing the series got right: they're both young and attractive (especially Jonathan; Oliver "Ollie" Jackson-Cohen is mighty good looking...err...fine...I mean...handsome). The thing is these two lived a simple, average life in the novel. They aren't the socialites NBC's reinvention of Stoker's Dracula makes them out to be. It surprises, sometimes shocks me still to see Lucy and Mina drown their troubles away at a club with opium or meth or heroine---whatever recreational drug of that time period NBC thought out---and just be careless wealthy carefree young women. It made prim, proper, practical and reserved Mina Murray a distant image.Well, it's NBC and it's up to their team however they want to add a healthy (exaggerated actually because it is in massive amounts and not exactly moderated) dash of intrigue and the then-high society life in the series. Needless to say, I think all this pomp was made to make the new Dracula series palatable to many who loved the Stoker classic. I actually think this tactic failed them and made Dracula a headache to watch however entertaining some aspects of it is.

Let's not even try to understand Lucy Westenra though I kind of hoped she'd be girlier and prettier, the belle of the city whatever place they are setting 2013 Dracula tv series on. Mina and Lucy seem on equal footing in terms of beauty or appeal. They got the blonde and fair part right, though.

Random insert: Jonathan Harker is my main Dracula bias as per the novel though I am still saddened how there is very little in pop culture about this guy. I think he's just as good a hero as Abraham Van Helsing so I'm not so keen on the Mina Murray hype and the Mina Murray nee Harker x Count Dracula pairing in pop culture. Japan is so fond of Mina x Dracula it's actually quite...unnerving. Well...stereotypical me. I love and mostly dote on the dependable and it's a plus if they're good looking, boring types: Jonathan Harker, exactly. I'm that boring and normal and predictable. And about Jonathan, my mind just cannot comprehend ambitious journalist for The Inquisitor to be honest. He seems more detached and impersonal on most things in the novel I actually thought he'd be just as formal, detached and personal in the series not...super ambitious. Sherlock Holmes-y but with issues. Lots of issues and hysterics mostly when it came to Count Dracula and Mina. Not to forget his benefactor, Peter Hawkins.

Next, we are treated to an American industrialist Count Dracula who now goes by the name Alexander Grayson. Uhmn...American...really? Last time I recall, Count Dracula was Transylvanian and of the Szekelys race or group. Technically Hungarian. Romanian, if we trace his roots back to Vlad the Impaler (Vlad Tepes) if we're going down the road from where some of his attributes were based on. Though I do like Jonathan Rhys Meyers' acting, I'm not sure about the looks or the characterization because an American Count Dracula? It's the first I've heard of it especially for something adapted from the Stoker classic. And that is after Anne Rice's Lestat and even Joss Whedon's pop-ified vampire icon Angelus/Angel. I'm so used to the book I think I can't find it in my heart to appreciate the American slang and accent Alexander speaks in that I actually have to stifle giggles when he speaks. It is an accent misplaced in a sea of characters with the British accent. Looks...he's not exactly as really good looking as Ollie, and this is all really a matter of taste or personal preference, but he'll do as he is one of the top actors nowadays.

Renfield just became saner and bigger. I don't mind his color as he is black (racists might otherwise and decide that he is better off played by a white actor), I'll take Renfield any way I can pre-insanity but wow...bigger that he's almost imposing as Dracula's all around butler like Alfred is to Bruce Wayne. Okay, he is more imposing and scarier-looking compared to Alfred. I'll leave it at that. Me thinks they were trying to pull for a tame-looking but tough in body build Renfield.

The vampire hunters have also become some sort of conniving secret society complete with bizarre-o rituals they've become as whack as how Dan Brown made the Priory of Zion out to be on The Da Vinci Code. Of course, Abraham Van Helsing is part of this secretive group along with a blonde voluptuous female, Lady Jane who is having an affair with the American(ized) Count. She probably doesn't know she's sleeping with the Count himself. She just knows him as Alexander Grayson, the American industrialist. Question remains: what is this vampire hunters' association's end-goal and what exactly is the Count to them? The abominable foe perhaps or do they perceive the Count to play a large role in changing how the nation or the whole world works? The way I see it, politics is being mixed up in this series and it only served to make things messier than intriguing and easy to follow. I'm beginning to think this series will do nothing but give me a headache at the end of every episode with every question left unanswered as it progresses on. Although I am not foreign to complex plots, this just takes the cake because seriously, I am not exactly expecting Lost-level of mystery on this thing. It is a classic that although has a ton of layers is actually quite easy to understand once you know where the author got ideas from for heaven's sake! It's not supposed to give viewers a throbbing headache after every episode!

There are absent characters or characters that have yet to appear: Dr. John Seward, Quincey Morris and Arthur Godalming. Or I might have just missed them as I seem to be eternally stuck on the first episode. I think it is too much to ask for the whole vampire hunting group the book has plus Jonathan Harker...NBC will go whatever way they can with this series either way. It's their call.

So...in a nutshell, you have NBC's interpretation of Stoker's famous Dracula that's somehow in the right time period with a bit of the typical contemporary and proven timeless elements---drugs, sex and rock'n'roll (rather operas and theatre plays)---to it in the form of a television series. Or at least that's how it looks aesthetically.

Despite the changes that I noted, I'd still really like to think it is one of the better series on television today following the lazy screenplay writing for Once Upon a Time which prompted me to give up on it and inconsistencies on Glee's plot and even American Horror Story---along with the string of blatant rape culture glorification on AHS and more (The Games of Thrones---but mostly in the books. ha.). It's Dracula, Bates Motel or nothing at this time. I'm watching nothing else.

Oh and eyecandy because I seriously hope this OTP is in the incoming 5th episode:

Because nothing says Bram Stoker Dracula eternal and canon OTP than Mina Murray (eventually to become Harker) and Jonathan Harker in bed. All I've seen so far are kisses. Sweet but nothing this extreme...yet. Spoken like a true fangirl. Ha. I prefer critic in reality, however.

Side note: I'm probably going to start rooting for Jessica de Grouw and Oliver Jackson-Cohen now for some reason. There's a photo of them kissing somewhere. Lovely real life couple if it hasn't happened yet...or has it already? (Doesn't take away my crush on Ollie, however. The second Ollie I find attractive after a certain Pettigrew. Harmless crush. Nothing wrong with admiring someone with looks and charm is there? Haha.)

*****
And in other news, last Friday, armed with premiere tickets gifted by the cable we subscribe to at home, it was movie date night with all four members of the family. Yep. Exactly. Me, dad, mum and the not-so-little (now) brother. It was...drumroll please...Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Hunger Games 2). It's my first as I have shunned the penned trilogy and the movie adaptation for so long now despite the hype. I continue to shun it...erm...them. I'm never good with following trends among young adults and teens, that which comprises the general audience, but I do try since I've established that I'm into pop-culture. Read: NOT A HIPSTER, exactly so let's not go that long, dark road. (But in all honesty, I think hipster is a misused brand to most people when all we're acting on is personal preference or individual distinctive tastes. What is that label, even?!)

There's a reason why I do not jump the Hunger Games fandom bandwagon until now and it's Battle Royale. Even when all I've seen of Battle Royale are the stills---I have yet to read the book which I now have in ebook format (hurrah!) and have yet to see the movie---I've formed an early opinion of Hunger Games that it is patterned closely to the Koushun Takami classic. I actually have an inkling as to what format or plot device both works run on however crude it may be. Let's get into that once I've actually gone through Battle Royale's book and movie and The Hunger Game's trilogy in both film and novel format. Hmn...that'll be not until a long while. It takes time for a certain work, written or adapted into film and tv, to sink into my mind and it takes even longer before I can consider any of them favorites.

kg*

Current Location: Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
Current Mood: lazylazy
Current Music: The Other Two - Selfish | Powered by Last.fm

(Leave a comment)

September 2nd, 2013


01:30 pm - That Radio Show/Dream5 (fanfic)
Sorry, I didn't seem to have a moment to run through this fanfic with the intent of proofreading it. I know, I fail as a writer mostly. LOL.

That Radio Show
Fandom: Dream5
Pairing: Shigemoto Kotori-Takano Akira
Length: One-shot
Rating: G
Contains: UST, mostly and fuwa-fuwa feelings between these two...sort of.

Click to Read :)Collapse )

***
Yay, first fanfic post. :D A treat to people in the Dream5 fandom and those who like the KotoAki pairing like me. Except this is something I made entirely for myself because no one would spoil me with any KotoAki fanfics. (*looks at Dream5 fans for support complete with kitty-pleading-eyes, please spoil me with more KotoAki fanfics? I'm at a drought and may seem to have hit a wall with these two.*)

Constructive criticism are welcomed, please no flames...? /sobs. Cookies from the KotoAki fandom if you fangirl or squeal at how cute these two are with me :D

***
Updates, fandom-wise:

Celtic Thunder - been on this for quite awhile for Damian McGinty. I'm borderline disappointed he's tried out for TGP when I think that's one show that's short lived that's also not as big as the X-Factor (US and UK), American Idol and even The Voice. And Glee writers had to mess up/mishandle Rory Flannaghan, too. I stopped watching Glee around season 2 because it is just one show that I think is not the best on TV now. (I'm not over how they treated Finn-Rachel for the first 2 seasons...). The only thing I like about Glee now is the performances---they should've just turned this one into a variety show. Ugh, Damo, please just go back to CT and well, be bffs and bros with Emmet and Colm and age your 'uncles' (Neil, Keith, Ryan and George) into grandpas? Please? Also, bring Daniel Furlong with you. Also, Disney and Nickelodeon. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'm still bummed about the premature demise of Big Time Rush but I'm getting over it. I'm about to give up on Damian (can't get over how blinding Hollywood is to most aspiring actors when it sucks most of the time by giving a lot of inconsistent stuff to audience. Rarely do you find gems there to watch, to be honest.) but not Celtic Thunder since they're still as adorable as ever. And I've had a weak spot for Irish folk music since the Corrs' Home album.

Batman in Man of Steel 2 - Ben Affleck. Seriously, DC, stop it. And Warner Bros, too. I'm jumping ship to Marvel's Avengers now because JOSS WHEDON. Affleck just does not reek of Bruce Wayne and Batman to me because he can't seem to hide himself under such personas (Heath Ledger is tons better than he is as an actor, imo). Why the fucking downgrade from Bale to Affleck? (Nolan-verse Batman/Dark Knight is too unforgettable at this stage to be tarnished.) Oh and someone please give me a treat and make a Red Robin series with Tim Drake's brilliant character? I demand TIM DRAKE!

Bates Motel - I'd like to catch up on a lot and I think nerdy-psychotic Freddie Highmore!teenaged-Norman Bates is too sweet to pass up. Of course, I love Vera Farmiga, too. :3

Oh and who else is excited about S.H.I.E.L.D.S.? I think Joss will kill it at the helm. Reminds me, I really need to get on Arrow because Green Arrow! :D

Why am I not bulleting all of these?

*kg
Current Location: Cagayan De Oro City, Philippines
Current Mood: calmcalm

(Leave a comment)

August 27th, 2012


08:15 pm - fandom sales post 1
Kisumai-fandom, hi :D

Since I haven't been caring so much for Kisumai lately---thanks to Da-iCE, AAA and other non-JE fandoms, I'm completely out of JE fangirling, I suppose---here's a quick sales post. Details are here: shopfreespirit-kis-my-ft2 lot of 3 CDs and DVDs. Click on the link if you're interested in them.

I'm still home in Cagayan de Oro until Wednesday this week so grab them fast if you want to get them quickly. I can always hold them until October if you get 'em after I'd gone back to Dumaguete City. Shipping will resume in October, sembreak, after Wednesday this week. It's first come first serve so whoever sends in the order form first gets the lot of Kisumai CDs.

kg*
Current Location: Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
Current Mood: calmcalm

(Leave a comment)

August 26th, 2012


02:27 pm - the closest thing to a music fest: school fest




(photos by: Kristel Punu :D)

Relieved to be home now after a day-long trip (bus and ship) from Dumaguete. I arrived at the local bus terminal at 10 in the evening. 

I was in full school fest gear last Friday while on foot around the campus and the boulevard. The school fest fair, Hibalag had been going on for days. They close around 2 in the morning to which mum says it was much like what she'd heard University of the Philippine's (UP's) fair was like during their own founder's week while driving me from the bus terminal to home after her work was capped. 

Hence photos are from Friday. We went adventurous around the campus and the boulevard and conquered all fear of taking photos everywhere in Dumaguete. There's still a few photo shooting-apt places in Dumaguete I'd like to make full use of when I get back. Apparently, my dorm mate slash constant companion is also a fan of photography. I've found someone to cling to the rest of my MA-er life. It won't be as dull.



I've been eyeing the different colored-cotton candy a few nights ago and finally got my wish to eat it and go back to being just a kid that same night, Friday around Hibalag. Spotted some small, dreamcatcher keychains in one of the stalls and my friend and I bought one for ourselves. Mine currently hang on the army green bag I swap with the brown one in the pictures on some days. Both being able to carry everything I need on most days. They're very spacey and I like them that way?

Back home now with a ton of school work in tow. I brought them with me so I'll be editing papers in and reading Fanon among other things the whole time I'll be here. I need to fit in an appointment with my dentist before I leave, too.

That's about all my catch-up post is all about. Hit me up, since I'm in my locale (CdeO) until Wednesday night for whatever if anyone wants to hang out from the hometown. :) Lemme just warn you ahead that I brought with me a ton of school work I hope to go through sometime this week.

kg*

Current Location: Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
Current Mood: calmcalm
Current Music: 佐伯ユウスケ - 夏の終わりを歌う曲があるが

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

August 20th, 2012


07:17 am - things that don't fit

(photo: my instagram)

Oversized shirts are becoming more and more an addiction for me along with a ton of denim, preferrably cutoffs, shorts to the point where I am thinking of raiding the store with those oversized denim and plaid shirts nearby. I might not have bought anything yet from the said store but it's quickly becoming my favorite spot to look into when I have free time and believe me, I seem to have a ton of free time recently. It's a long weekend today until tomorrow, after all.

Not a lot of people get into these kinds of shirts here so they are oftentimes ignored and shunned in a corner. I can hear them crying, begging for someone to adopt them. I'll think about getting them when I get my allowance hopefully today, though I'm still not so sure.

Anyway, I've updated shopfreespirit with a few things. Just as I noted on the free spirit tumblr earlier, All these stuff are back home in Cagayan de Oro (and I am, despite the long weekend, stuck in Dumaguete City by choice and because really, I can't afford to go home yet XD) so I could ship the items in around Thursday this week to Thursday next week and in October, by the sembreak given there are orders sent in. Send in your e-mail when you are interested in getting a few of the pieces up on the online shop. :) 

I have a long day to read stuff today and make a report out of them. Mostly, Nick Joaquin stuff since I chose the harder short story writer to write a report on. Typical life of a student in the Literature Studies masteral course on a Monday. I won't get to enjoy this break much but I hope to, really. All I have time for is Da-iCE stuff and yep, I've gone for GTO 2012 but I'm going to watch it bit by bit later. All thanks to plotboxes. :D

kg*

Current Location: Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental
Current Mood: calmcalm

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

August 16th, 2012


09:39 am - Never Over the Boyband Fever

So hi there, 90's. And well, I finally have reason to blog in the fangirliest way I can. *Points up* they're my new Avex obsession and by new, they are 'very, fairly, *pristine*' new. Da-iCE. They're not a Kpop band, they just seem like it music-wise and well, dance-wise but the kind of sound they make has been around Jpop for ages (see W-inds., Flame, Lead, Daichi Miura, Matsushita Yuya et al for reference---maybe even the older groups like Globe among others). It's invalidated if you say this group steals from Kpop when in fact, Kpop is influenced by this kind of sound along with that of the Western world's kind of r&b-pop sound. And apart from Dae Guk Nam Ah/TheBOSS/Daigoku Danji, yes, I'm not going to venture in Kpop, ever. I'm the typical case of that one who got into Jpop, Jrock and Jindies and never got out of it enough to explore Kpop and other Asian pop music other than some of my own (OPM), western pop and Japan's.

Anyway, yes, Da-iCE (pronounced 'daisu' like 'dice' in Japanese)...they started their activities last year as themselves, 2011. They only have performance videos on Avex's channel at the moment but they have merchandise (no singles yet nor a mini-album/EP) in their Mumo page. Now, why do I like them? They have a cooler sound compared to Dream 5, that's one. They're all boys?! Well, I am a girl so... They dance really good---typical of a Jboyband hence they give me a lot of young W-inds. feelings (W-inds, when they were younger, were somewhat like this). They have really cool-voiced vocalists, I can't wait when they release stuff they record---Hanamura Sota is my favorite vocalist and dancer (guy in red pants, yes, the one and only). But the 'favorite' dancer part is something is something he shares with Kudo Taiki (that baby with the dotted white and red shirt inside his black blazer/jacket, who looks eerily like Watanabe Shu from Amuse) and even Wada Hayate (that one who's wearing a white shirt inside his black blazer/jacket with sparkly silver lining) a.k.a. Da-iCE's baby boy. And they have the rhythm and blues, bluesy pop sound. In summary, they have the cool package going on and I can't hold myself on that kind of image. Cool is just...my weakness. Oh and Ohno Yudai/Udai and Kudo Taiki are just my age. :D 1987 babies :)

Their activities? They're sharing opening act slots with the younger Dream 5 in AAA's 777 tour which, I think, hasn't finished yet. AAA's 777 tour is just halfway at the moment? I'm not sure. They also open for AAA et. al at the A-Nation Music and Fes weeks. That's 2 weeks of A-Nation. They perform in smaller venues yet and open perhaps for other Jartists so if you want to know more of their activities, it would be better to head to their ameblo. Here's me, baiting: head to their youtube playlist on the Avex channel if you've just become as much a fan of them as I currently am.

Hmn...apparently four of them had said on their profile pages translated at the Da-iCE LJ community I joined recently that they're into songwriting. If they really are, then they just boosted themselves up 20x more than AAA and a few others have in my book. I really like those who don't just sing and dance but songwrite as well.

Da-iCE's been the current cause for my inability to read anything related to my troublesome English Literature MA subjects...wait...I'll get there. Just lemme finish watching and re-watching the video above because it's my current, well, obsession. Thank you, Da-iCE, for rendering me unproductive for a couple of days now. Now I wish I could go to AAA's concerts and A-nation just to watch these guys, Dream 5 and of course, AAA. I think it's easy to mistake this group as one from Vision Factory since a ton of such groups with the R&B sound are there but really, Avex already has Jamosa and a few others with the similar sound Da-iCE makes. They're not the only R&B-tinged group Avex has at the moment.

Reminds me...I nearly forgot this one. A day late Happy Birthday to my pristine new bias/baby, Hanamura Sota!!!! :D


(photo source: heiseiraidaa at tumblr)
This cute Da-iCE baby boy just turned 22 yesterday :) Apparently, he had cake and ate it in celebration of his 22nd year from this blog entry.

So, I've blabbed quite a ton about Da-iCE...time for me to go back to re-watching Five in their youtube channel then read or at least get ready for the day. Still annoyed I can't somehow get that Chinua Achebe essay I need to get online. I'm out. :)

kg*

PS
Yes, you can consider this a lengthy Da-iCE pimp post. It's really just a primer on the group but whatever.

Current Location: Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental
Current Mood: chipperchipper
Current Music: Da-iCE - Five via youtube

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

> previous 10 entries
> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com